Friday, June 20, 2008

Kutna Hora and Cubism

On Wednesday June 18, 2008, we took another day trip. This time we went to the little town of Kutna Hora. We only had a couple of hours there, but the first thing we did was go see the "bone church" of Kutna Hora. The story is that there was a small cemetery that everyone wanted to be buried in because dirt from the Crusades was sprinkled over the land. People believed that the cemetery was holy. So what they did was every couple of years dig up the old bodies to make room for the new ones. They then used the bones to decorate the crypt. There was this really elaborate chandelier that was made using every bone in the body. After that, we just roamed around the town. I went to check out the church, but you had to pay to get in. So my friend Kelly and I went walking down the streets. We saw a house that had a cherry tree and chickens running around. Kelly wanted to jump the fence and play with the chickens...I thought we were going to get shot or put in jail, so I just watched. She was unsuccessful, which made me relieved! The train ride to and from Kutna Hora was really beautiful because it was the Czech country side.


That evening a bunch of us went out to Kross Klub. It was really cool!! They had all of these levels with different types of music in each level. Also, the decorations were all macinical parts...it's really hard to explain, but if you ever get a chance to come to Prague, go to Kross Klub!!

On Thursday June 19, 2008, I met with Dennis, my photo prof, to go over some of my photos. Then I hung around and waited for Art History to start. For our weekly Thursday Excursion, we went to The House of the Black Madonna, which is a building, cafe, and musuem that's all about the Cubism movement. First we stopped at the cafe, which, by the way, is the only Cubist cafe in the world. I had this chocolate cake with baked apples cooking inside. It was AMAZING!! I loved the little cafe...this is also a must see!! Then we moved up to the museum. I really enjoyed it. I really like the way that my art history class is set up because going to these museums and art exhibits, I learn to appreciate art that I would have never appreciated had I not had a very learned professor walking me through each piece and telling me about it.

Thursday evening, I crashed. I had been so tired, I pretty much fell asleep at 5:30pm and woke up at 10:15am, with some wake up time in between. But I'm glad I took some time to sleep. Now I'm energized for one of my last weekends in Prague!

No comments: