Sunday, June 15, 2008

This is me being way behind on my blogs!!!

I am way behind on my blogs so I am going to try to compress 5 days in Prague into one blog!! :)


Wednesday 11 June 2008:
On Wednesday, I didn't have class, but we did have guest photo lecturers come talk to us!! Fist we had Michael O'Brien who has worked for National Geographic and Texas Monthly. He has also released a book named "Faces of Texas" with all different kinds of portraits of all different kinds of Texans.

After that, a bunch of us went down to Old Town Square to watch the Czech Republic play Portugal in Futbol on these huge big sceens. It was crazy!! There were soo many people there...and sooo much Pivo!!! haha. It was fun, but I didn't stay long because we had another speaker come talk to us.

Daniel Sperl is a Prague native photographer. He really inspired me because he was so humble and still loved photography. He doesn't consider himself a photographer, he just says its a hobby, even though he's released several photography books. If you are interested in photography, defiantly check out his work at www.danielsperl.com

Thursday 12 June 2008:
On Thursday I had photo class in the morning, then art history class. For our Thursday excursion for art history, we first went to the National Museum of Modern Art where we studied Kupka and his abstract art. This was the first time in my life that I appreciated abstract art and it's beauty. The second part of the class, we went to the Rudolfinum to see an exhibit entitled Angels Sleeping by Gottfried Helnwein. I was in complete shock at his beautiful work. He is a painter, but for about half of the exhibit, I thought it was photography because his paintings are so sharp and life like, and I wasn't the only one. He does absolutely amazing work. The coolest part about the exhibit is that we had a guided tour by Helnwein, himself!! It was awesome. Check out his exhibit at www.galerierudolfinum.cz. After class, a couple of us went to an exhibit on sexism. It was really interesting and controversial. They showed the Andy Warhol film Women in Revolt, which was the most made movie I have ever seen, but it was still interesting. They had a lot of films and art about the concept of sex and how it may be viewed as a faux pas, and masculinity and femininity. In the evening, Dana, Kate, and I (Dana and Kate are my roommates) went to have some wine on Charles Bridge. This was my first time to be on Charles Bridge at night. It was so beautiful. I took some great photos!

Friday 13 June 2008:
Ashley and I spent the whole entire day at the Prague Zoo. It was amazing. The Prague Zoo was ranked 7th best zoo in the world. The Zoo was so big!! My favorite part was the Africa part. They have this huge field made to look like an African Safari. It was so beautiful! They had giraffes and zebras and other African Animals. I also enjoyed the elephants. They were so cute!! After the Zoo, we meet Dana and Kate for dinner at The Pub. In the evening, we went to the student pub in the dorm to hang out, then Ashley and I watched an episode of Nip/Tuck.

Saturday 14 June 2008:
We all woke up early to go to the flea market. It was really fun!! I bought two scarves. My friend Kelly is so funny. She bought an accordion and a skate board, haha. The flea market was a lot of fun! Then we all came back to the dorms and rested. Saturday night was Museum night, which means that all the museums in Prague are free from 7pm-1am. We started off by going back to the Rudolfinum. All the film kids hadn't gone through the Helnwein exhibit, so I walked them through it. Then we enjoyed a concert by a youth symphony. After that, we went to eat dinner at The Pub, again!! The funny part is that we always get the same waiter. After dinner, we went to the Museum of Pop. It was really bad. I'm glad I didn't pay to get in. By this time it was already about 1am, but we stayed out and went clubbing because it was Araceli's birthday. She wanted to go salsa dancing, so we walked around for about an hour and a half trying to find a salsa club, when we finally a man hooked us into going to his club with his one line: "It's free to get in, free to get out". We laughed so hard, that we decided we had to go to that club, plus it was free to get out!! A damper was put on the night when Micky got his camera stolen, but we all still had fun, and are more careful than ever.

Sunday 15 June 2008
Today is Father's Day. I wish I could have spent it with my dad, but I went to Mass at St. Vitus and prayed for all the fathers in my life. I am blessed to have such a great dad and other men in my life that I also see as father figures. After mass, Ashley and I talked to some of the clergy about maybe doing her photo story on one of them, but we decided to find a Priest that spoke English. We then went to Pizza Colosseum for lunch. I had pasta with tomato sauce. It was good and spicy! We then picked up some ice cream and came back to the dorm, where I rested for the rest of the day.

No comments: